Refugee Cash Assistance and Moving to Independence

The Department of Human Services (DHS) is dedicated to helping low-income families and individuals living in Pennsylvania move to independence through the Refugee Cash Assistance Program.

This program provides money for up to eight months from the date of entry into the United States for refugees who do not meet Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) eligibility requirements.

How to Apply

You can apply for benefits and renew benefits by using COMPASS, the online resource for cash assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), child care, health care coverage, home heating assistance (LIHEAP), school meals, SelectPlan for Women and long-term living services. You can also:

If you need help completing the application form or need more information about benefits, trained County Assistance Office staff can help you.

Are You Eligible?

In general, Refugee Cash Assistance follows the same eligibility requirements as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.