​EBT Vendor Registration: SNAP and Cash Assistance Vendors

How to Become an EBT Retailer

In Pennsylvania, eligible families and individuals receive an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, which is processed like a debit card. The EBT card is used at approved grocery stores and other retail outlets for food purchases or cash withdrawals.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is administered by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) through its nationwide network of FNS field offices. Local FNS field offices are responsible for the licensing and monitoring of retail food stores participating in SNAP.

Any retailer that would like to accept SNAP EBT benefits will need to contact the USDA to apply for a license. The retailer can either request a paper application be mailed to them by contacting FNS at 1-877-823-4369 or you can apply online.

Once a retailer has been approved to accept SNAP EBT benefits, they are also able to accept Cash EBT benefits. If a retailer wants to accept Cash only EBT benefits, they will need to contact their bank or third party processor.