Consumer-Directed Services

The Office of Long-Term Living's (OLTL) home and community-based services (HCBS) gives you more choice about how and where you receive services. If you are over the age of 60, or an individual with a disability and need services and support, OLTL's HCBS are available to you.

All HCBS include three common service elements:

  • Service Coordination
    Your care manager/service coordinator is there to help you plan for and get the services and supports you need.
  • Individualized Planning
    All individuals who receive HCBS services have an Individual Service Plan. Your plan should include important information about you, your goals, what services you need and want (including how, by whom and where you want the services delivered) and the steps that you need to take to best use your services.
  • Quality Management
    It is important to make sure that you are satisfied with the services and supports you receive, and that those supports are helping you move toward the goals in your Individual Service Plan. You may be asked about your services and supports. These questions help ensure that Waiver Services help you lead a full, satisfying and safe life. Services are designed to support you.
  • Easy Access
    You should be able to find the support you need. If you feel that HCBS are right for you, your local Area Agency on Aging or Independent Enrollment Broker can help guide you through the process of how to find the best HCBS program that suits you.
  • Flexible Supports
    The supports you receive should be available to you in ways that are 'just right' and 'just in time' for you.
  • Person-Centered Approach
    You should receive supports that are tailored to your needs. You should feel you are respected, valued and an equal partner in the design and delivery of the supports that are provided to you. It is your responsibility to let your Service Coordinator/Care Manager know your service needs.
  • Consumer Direction
    Consumer direction is an option that is available to you under the OLTL's Home and Community-Based Waiver Services and ACT 150. This option allows you to employ a personal attendant, rather than arranging for a worker through an agency. Employers must meet the income guidelines defined by OLTL's Medicaid Waiver Services. You must meet the state standards for eligibility for a nursing facility.
  • Health and Safety
    The Office of Long-Term Living requires providers to supply high-quality supports. These supports will help you stay healthy and safe while allowing you to make informed choices, try new experiences, take reasonable risks, and assume new challenges and responsibilities in your life.

Contact Information

Area Agency on Aging

Your local Area Agency on Aging will put you into contact with the programs and services you need.

Locate Your AAA

Independent Enrollment Broker

The IEB helps PA residents find and enroll in home and community-based services and supports

Call the IEB

OLTL Helpline

Call the toll-free Long-Term Living Helpline at 1-800-753-8827 if you have questions or need more information

Call the Helpline