Ask Trooper Brent 074 - License Classes

This is a video transcript for a social media post.


[Intro music - distorted electric guitar chords]

Series intro sequence - The words #ASK TROOPER BRENT appear onscreen from various directions. The background includes scenes from previous ATB episodes, including: Trooper Brent being hassled by a zombie from a Halloween episode; Trooper Brent in front of a school bus; Trooper Brent running with a flashlight, headlamp and a bright shirt; Trooper Brent sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck; and Trooper Brent installing a child passenger safety seat. A cursor arrow appears from bottom right and clicks on the words #ASK TROOPER BRENT. The arrow exits to the upper left. The words and background blur and fade to black. A Pennsylvania State Police patch fades in. 

Corporal Brent Miller is standing outside. It is a sunny day and trees are in the background, moving in the breeze.

Corporal Miller: Welcome back to another edition of Ask Trooper Brent. I’m Corporal Brent Miller. Throughout the year, we received multiple noncommercial towing and weight related questions. 

An image slowly pans to the left: a Jeep SUV towing a small camper.

In Pennsylvania, there are three types of noncommercial driver’s licenses. Most people know that when you turn 16, you receive a class C license. 

A large capital letter "C" appears onscreen and quickly fades out.

There are also class B and class A licenses.

Large capital letters "B" and "A" appear and quickly fade.

Which one do you need? Let’s first start with your gross vehicle weight rating of your vehicle. 

An image of a vehicle information sticker slowly zooms into the vehicle weight data.

The GVWR can be found when you open up the driver’s side door.

Corporal Miller appears.

You will need a class B license when driving any single vehicle with a weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more. 

An image of a large recreational vehicle pans right to left.

For example, this vehicle is 50,000 pounds. Class B.

An image of a recreational vehicle towing a trailer pans left to right.

This vehicle is 30,000 pounds and the trailer is 9,000 pounds. Still a class B.

Corporal Miller appears.

Let’s move to class A. When the trailer is 10,001 pounds or more and the combination of the vehicle and the unit being towed is 26,001 pounds or more, you need a class A. 

An image of a large pickup truck towing a fifth wheel camper pans right to left.

Here’s an example. The truck is 13,500 pounds and the trailer is 18,000 pounds. The total combined weight is 31,500 pounds. Class A. 

Corporal Miller appears.

Still have a question? Check out the helpful link in the post. If you have a question, post in our comments below, use #AskTrooperBrent on Twitter, or send us an email. We’ll see you next time. For Ask Trooper Brent, I’m Corporal Brent Miller with the PA State Police.

Corporal Miller walks off camera to the left. The background blurs and the PSP patch appears. Fade to black.

[outro music - acoustic guitar picking and strumming]