Voting by Alternative Ballot

If your polling place is not accessible, you may be able to vote with an alternative ballot by mail. Find out if you can vote an alternative ballot instead of in person at your polling place.

An alternative ballot is a paper ballot you get in the mail and return to your county election office. 

The federal Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act of 1984 requires the Commonwealth to offer alternative ballots. 

There are 3 options to return your completed ballot:

  • in person to your county election office or other officially designated location
  • by designating someone in writing to return it for you 
  • through the U.S. mail

Can I vote by alternative ballot?

If you meet the qualifications to vote by alternative ballot, you have the right to do so even if you are able to appear to vote at your polling place. You have the right to vote with an alternative ballot if you are:

  • A registered voter, AND
  • Were assigned to a polling place that your county board of elections says is not accessible

AND you

  • Have a disability, or 
  • Are age 65 or older, whether you have a disability or not.

How do I apply for an alternative ballot?

  1. Fill in the paper alternative ballot application and send it to your county election office.
  2. If accepted, you will receive an alternative ballot with instructions via U.S. mail from your county election office.

You must submit your alternative ballot application to your county election office no later than 5 p.m. on the Tuesday before Election Day. 

How and when can I apply for an emergency alternative ballot?

In case you experience an emergency in the last week leading up to Election Day, you can submit an application for an emergency alternative ballot. You must submit this completed application to the county election office no later than 8 p.m. on Election Day.