Fireworks FAQ

Act 74 of 2022 set new rules for the sale and use of consumer-grade fireworks. Below are the most noteworthy changes.

Which fireworks are residents allowed to purchase and use?

Consumers can purchase and use “Class C” or “consumer-grade” fireworks such as firecrackers, Roman candles, bottle rockets, and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material.

“Display fireworks” are only to be used by professionals with a permit from the municipality where the display will take place. Display fireworks include salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive materials and professional-grade aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions.

Who can purchase fireworks?

Anyone over the age of 18 years can purchase, possess and use consumer fireworks. Consumer fireworks do not include “ground and hand-held sparkling devices”, “novelties” and “toy caps,” which are permitted at all times throughout the Commonwealth.

What are the restrictions on their use?

  • Cannot be ignited or discharged on public or private property without express permission of the property owner
  • Cannot be directed at another person
  • Cannot be discharged from or directed at a building or vehicle
  • Cannot be discharged within 150 feet of a building or vehicle regardless if the building or vehicle is owned by the user of the consumer fireworks
  • Cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance or another drug
  • Municipalities may restrict use of consumer fireworks between 10 p.m. and 10 a.m. except:
    • July 2, 3, 4 and Dec. 31 when they may be used until 1 a.m.
    • If July 4 falls on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday they may be used until 1 a.m. on the immediately preceding and following Friday and Saturday
  • The following may take, remove or cause to be removed all stocks of consumer or display fireworks sold, used, stored, or held in violation of this law:
    • PSP
    • Act 120 certified municipal police officers
    • a sheriff or sheriff’s deputy
    • A member of a Pennsylvania bomb squad accredited by the FBI and certified in hazardous devices training

Check with your local municipality for applicable local ordinances.

Where can fireworks be purchased?

Persons 18 years and older can buy consumer fireworks from a stand-alone, permanent structure licensed by the Department of Agriculture. Consumer fireworks may also be purchased through online, mail-order, or other transaction, but delivery of consumer fireworks to a purchaser shall take place at a licensed, permanent structure.

Related Information

Most recent fireworks press release from the State Fire Commissioner

U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives: Federal Explosive and Firework regulations

U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission - Safety and Federal Regulations: Fireworks Business Guidance

American Pyrotechnic Association (APA): Directory of State Laws