Apply for Cash Assistance

Cash assistance programs provide temporary financial support to Pennsylvanians with low incomes pay for everyday expenses.


Cash Assistance Programs such as

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF )
  • Diversion Program
  • State Blind Pension Program (SBP)
  • Refugee Cash Assistance Program

May be available if you:

  • Are pregnant or have minor dependents
  • Have a disability
  • Are a refugee



Apply for Cash Assistance Programs

You can apply for cash assistance programs on COMPASS, Pennsylvania's benefit management website

To be eligible for cash assistance

Each individual program has different eligibility requirements. General requirements may include:

  • Monthly income earned or unearned must be within income limits established for each program.
  • The value of owned resources must be within resource limits established for each program.
  • You must be a US citizen and resident of Pennsylvania (Certain non-citizens lawfully admitted for permanent residence may be eligible.)

Apply for Cash Assistance

You can apply online, over the phone, or in person.

Apply Online

COMPASS is Pennsylvania’s benefits management website. You can apply for Cash Assistance and other benefits.

Apply via COMPASS

Call to Apply

Call the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services to apply for benefits

Call 1-866-550-4355

Apply In Person

Visit your local County Assistance Office (CAO) to apply and get more information

Find Your CAO


Contact Your County Assistance Office (CAO)

For questions or additional information contact your local County Assistance Office (CAO).

Find Your County Office

Call Customer Service

Call the DHS Customer Service Helpline for more information.

Call 1-866-550-4355