Request Victim Advocacy Restitution Assistance

Restitution is a way of being compensated for your loss or injury. 

Office of Victim Advocate

What is Restitution

Restitution is a monetary award designed to help restore you for financial loss and damages suffered as a result of the crime. Restitution is ordered by the court during the sentencing of an offender. The District Attorney’s office will work with you to determine appropriate amounts.  

Restitution awards could include expenses for the following:  

  • Medical Bills 
  • Stolen Cash or Property 
  • Insurance Deductibles 
  • Medical Appointment Copays 
  • Funeral Expenses 


How Does Restitution Work

Restitution must be ordered during sentencing. The district attorney’s office who prosecuted your case is responsible for proving the appropriate paperwork and totals to the judge to ensure the proper amount is ordered. Once ordered by a judge, restitution becomes a condition of the offender’s sentence.

All money collected for restitution is forwarded to the county where the offender was prosecuted. Each county disperses restitution money differently. You should call the county where your crime was prosecuted for specific details. 

Frequently Asked Questions

A:Many county jails and the PA Department of Corrections will take a percentage of any money that is placed in an inmate’s account. This can include money received from family/friends, and from wages earned while in prison.  

It is important to note that the percentage taken will vary from county to county. The PA Department of Corrections will take 25% out of any inmate account that has restitution ordered.  

A: No. Restitution will only cover out of pocket expenses.  

A: All offenders on state parole are directed to set up a payment plan with the county where the crime occurred. The Clerk of Court in that county will then determine the amount the offender has to pay each month.  

A:  No, each county operates differently. If you have questions about receiving restitution in your specific county, you should reach out to the county Clerk of Court office. They can provide you with information on how disbursement schedules work, and when you can expect to receive restitution. 

A: Yes! If you move, you should notify OVA as well as the county where the crime occurred. Failure to update your address may delay your restitution payments. 

Contact OVA for Restitution Assistance 

For assistance with restitution, or any questions, please call OVA. We will work with you to help ensure that you receive your restitution payments.   If possible, please have the county and case number available (example: CP-00-CR-0000000-0000) when you call. 

Call Us

Mon.-Fri. 8:30am-4:30pm


OVA Contact Form

OVA Contact Form